- Tatsu Aoki - Bass, Shamisen on track 4, and Taiko on track 6
- Mwata Bowden - Woodwinds (Baritone Sax, Bass Clarinet)
- Francis Wong - Soprano Sax
- Jeff Chan - Woodwinds (Tenor Sax, Bass Clarinet, Shinobue on track 4)
- Jonathan Chen - Violin
- Ryan Toguri - Taiko Drum, Percussion
- Amy Homma - Taiko Drum, Percussion
- Hide Yoshihashi - Taiko Drum, Percussion
- Kazu Terashima - Shinobue on track 4
- Jason Matsumoto - Taiko Drum, Percussion on track 4
Tatsu Aoki's re:ROOTED project is the culmination of a community based project exploring Asian identity and cultural integration through the sounds of the drum, and marrying traditional and unconventional musical instruments and forms.
- Episode ONE (15:46)
- Episode TWO (8:02)
- Episode THREE (5:25)
- Shadow to Shadow and Beyond (6:47)
- Lacquer (17:21)
- Gate (18:46)
July 25, 2006
Southport Records / ASIN: B000HA43KQ
Album Description, Editorial Review
re: Rooted continues the concept of Aoki's 2001composition commissioned by the Jazz Institute of Chicago. Howard Reich of the Chicago Tribune called it "an eloquent, often dramatic merger of ancient Japanese music and experimental American jazz."
Aoki has written, "Who we are is what we sound like, and what we sound like is who we are." On this recording, Aoki returns to the theme with a new configuration of The Miyumi Project to express this unique new form of the music: Asian American jazz.
"Drumming is an oral tradition, passed up through the ages in many cultures. Tatsu carries on this tradition; a documentarian of life in the big village." -Lauren Deutsch, Executive Director, Jazz Institute of Chicago.
You may also be interested in the following albums:
The Miyumi Project Live In Poland
The Miyumi Projec(08)
Rooted Origins of Now
The Miyumi Project Big Band (01)
The Miyumi Project (00)
Back to Tatsu's Discography